So today is September 11th. One of those moments when you look back and remember just what you were doing when you heard the news. And there is nothing like one of those moments to remind you how far you have come. I was in Logan, Utah, Morgan was at class and the kids (only two back then -- Shelby was 3 and Brock had just turned 2) wanted to watch their morning cartoons. Being the weather geek that I am I just had to check the weather and then they could watch. I turned the tv to the Today show just moments after they learned the first plane had hit. So of course I just sat and watched in ... is there a word? Horror, anticipation... completely enthralled with the event. Now seven years later I can see what a remarkable event it has been in our lives and in the history of the world.
Shelby and her fifth grade class got to sing at a memorial service this morning honoring the soldiers (thanks Uncle Jason), the emergency personel and the fallen. I am thankful that she got to be a part of that and that she is able to learn how one event is shaping the world she is living in. She came home with questions and knowledge that amazed me, she is definitely growing up.
Just as a side note, they did a flag ceremony and I was impressed by the precision of the whole thing (we did a flag ceremony at pack night last night and it was anything but impressive and there was no precission). Jaxon was in awe of the whole line of men in uniforms and just stood and watched with his little hand on his heart. Then the 21 gun salute, the horror and the question that makes this mom thing worth while, "mom, why are they shooting the flag?" Too cute! Too Funny! Gotta love the innocence of a 4 year old.



2 comments:
How special! You really do sit back and think about what you were doing at that exact moment! I was going to cosmetology and they had it over the intercom! It was scary! Plus, went to the hospital because Jill was having Brian! Crazy huh? I love your blog! Keep it up!
Jil- lovin the blog! Keep writing! Got to see your mom and dad today at Denny's reception. I was going to go over to the temple but I was so scared my water would break or something in the middle of the ceremony that I chickend out. Of course, nothing happened. Anyway, I love seeing them. They make me happy! Miss ya
Post a Comment